Georgia and Steven's Home Birth

The birth of Otto Rex Savage

I knew from the moment I was pregnant that I wanted a home birth. Initially Steven was hesitant; worried about all the things that could go wrong. (Like what if the birth pool pops and 600L of water ruin our floorboards ). However, given the COVID-19 restrictions shifting the amount of time birth partners could spend in hospital, and the fact that women have been birthing naturally for millennia, a home birth was absolutely my first preference.

So I decided to enrol in hypnobirthing classes—where Lauren from In Birth & Beyond educated Steven and I on how to have a strong, empowered & enjoyable birth. And oh my did it pay off...

Labour began on Sunday the 9th of August. Though, it wasn’t until Tuesday the 11th at 4.30am that my surges intensified. I whipped the TENS machine out and drifted in and out of sleep for a couple of hours.

By 9am things had shifted. I had vomited three times, couldn’t keep any food down, and was feeling the surges exclusively in my lower back. My energy was so low that I could barely open my eyes—side lying on the lounge under covers. At 9.40am Janene arrived with a Maxalon injection which relieved the nausea and vomiting.

Even though my surges were 6 minutes apart, I called our midwife, Hollie, at 1pm as I was still feeling depleted. I remember telling her that I couldn’t do it anymore, particularly if I wasn’t even in active labour yet. Hollie arrive an hour later to tell me I was already 5cm dilated. Steven and Hollie insisted that we try more movement, acupressure and water immersion to help move things along.

It was as if a switch had flicked and all of a sudden I had the energy and endurance to keep going. I continued the above techniques alongside the TENS machine and hypnobirthing relaxation. And at 5pm, just as the setting sun illuminated our home through the stain-glassed windows, I got into the birth pool. My surges continued to be 6 minutes apart. And with each surge, acupressure on my lower back was incredibly powerful.

I stayed in the pool for the next four hours, continuing acupressure and hot water application on my lower back with each surge. As it became time to bare down, I focused on breathing my baby down. And continued thinking to myself ‘I’m one surge closer to meeting my baby’.”

After 17 hours of active labour, our son, Otto Rex Savage, was born at 9.05pm weighing 3.41kg. As Steven placed Otto on my chest I remember saying “I could do that 10 more times.” Don’t you just love the oxytocin hit! I had a slight graze. But there was no need for stitches.

108 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All